1806 – The Estonian confectionery industry was born when the confectioner Lorenz Caviezel opened his candy shop on Pikk Street, Tallinn where the coffee shop Maiasmokk (“Sweet Tooth”) can be found today.
1864 – Mr Georg Stude purchases the confectionery and expands it. Marzipan (‘Marchpane’) figurines and hand-made chocolate candies were the most sought after items of the Stude production line. The Russian Emperor’s Court was one of the clients who ordered sweets from Stude on a regular basis. To make marzipan figurines and assorted chocolates, AS Kalev is using old recipes and craft until these days.
1921 – most renowned predecessor of AS Kalev – chocolate and candy factory Kawe is established. The biggest confectionery manufacturer in Estonia of that time, Kawe was well known both domestically and abroad. A significant share of the production was exported to a number of countries: United States of America, United Kingdom, Tunisia, Morocco, France, India, China and others. Other large-scale confectionery producers of those days need to be mentioned: Ginovker (founded in 1906), Brandmann (1901) and Klausson (1920). Over 75% of employees in the Estonian confectionery industry, including Kawe, worked in those enterprises in the late 1930s. Several smaller producers like Riola, Endla, Eelis, Efekt and others provided competition to the big ones.
1940 - nationalization and merger in the confectionary industry begins. Brandmann’s and Riola merged and the new enterprise received the name Karamell (Caramel). Later on Georg Stude’s marzipan and chocolate division joined Karamell. Cake and pastry baking facilitiesremained in the Pikk Street premises – the building is known as the Maiasmokk- café until today. In addition to Kawe, confectioneries Efekt, Eelis, Endla and Soliid as well as syrup producer Ermos from the Kloodi manor in the vicinity of Rakvere united with Karamell. The joint enterprise continued under the name of Kawe.
1948 – on April the 1st, Kawe is renamed and takes the name Kalev. Cause for the name change was based on ideological reasons: someone had complained to the minister that the name Kawe was made up of the initials of the former owners, which was not acceptable for a Soviet enterprise. A name contest was announced without delay and two names “Punane Kompu" (“Red Candy”) and “Kalev" were proposed. “Kalev" eventually won by a single vote.
1957 –new premises were constructed for the confectionery factory Uus Kalev (New Kalev) at Pärnu road 139. A year later the Karamell was merged with this new factory.
1962 – the merger of the confectioneries is complete: Uus Kalev (New Kalev) and Kalev are united and the enterprise carries the name Kalev from now on. Kalev is now the only remaining confectionary
Throughout the Soviet period, Kalev produced sweets for the Estonian domestic needs as well as for the rest of the former Soviet Union, among others also supplying the “uncrowned rulers” in Moscow’s Kremlin. Kalev’ s sweets gained popularity outside of the Soviet borders and received awards on international
trade shows and exhibitions.
1991 – the state-owned company RAS Kalev is formed on the basis of the Kalev factory.
1995 – RAS Kalev is privatized and a public limited company (AS) is established.
1996 – shares of company are listed on the Tallinn Stock Exchange.
2003 – Kalev is moved from Tallinn to new contemporary premises in Põrguvälja, Rae parish in Harju county, Northern Estonia.
2006 – Kalev celebrates its 200th jubilee.
13.06. 2006 – Kalev creates a subsidiary Kalev Chocolate Factory, that takes over chocolate and confectionery production and sales from the parent company.
27.05.2010 – The Kalev Chocolate Factory becomes a member of the Norwegian international Orkla concern.
09.04.2012 – Kalev restores its historical business name AS Kalev